Institute of Leather technology , a premier Government institution conducts at present Diploma programme in Leather technology ( Sandwich ) , is approved by AICTE and governed by the Directorate of Technical Education, Tamilnadu.The Diploma programme is of 31/2 years duration comprising five semesters of institutional study and two semester of in-plant training in the leather industry. In-plant training is offered in two spells ie during IV and VII semester of the programme.
The Institute is committed for changes, to meet the challenging demand of the industry. The interaction with the industry is well established through in-plant training programme and on placement of Diploma holders by the industry. The institute with its added infrastructural facilities provides update knowledge, hands on practical training and conducive learning environment for the holistic growth and development of students. Newly established labs like computer lab, CAD lab, Leather testing lab and Communication lab develops the technological skills and knowledge of the students. The institute has very good library facilities having more than 3500 books of various Leather oriented technical subjects arranged category wise for quick and easy reference.
Early in 1915 when there was a great demand for the development of leather industry , there came into existence this nucleus Institute of Leather technology, known as Leather Trade school. Being the first of its kind it had no parallel in India and it had to cater to the technical needs not only of this state but also of the other states in India and even outside the country. The Leather Trades school was re-organised and developed into institute of Leather technology in the year 1946.
The following courses were conducted :
1. Diploma course of three years duration in Leather technology
2. Certificate course in Footwear and Leather goods manufacture
3. Artisan course of one year duration for the children of professional community.
And further developments in the expansion of the institute were made possible by including its scheme in the Second Five year plan. In the year 1956, a Diploma course of three years duration in Leather goods and Footwear technology was introduced which was later merged with Leather technology.
Before establishment of the Central Leather Research Institute in 1952, the training and teaching programme of post-graduate B.Sc Tech students were vested under the care of this institute from 1947 to 1951. In 1957, the institute and its course of study were brought under the purview of the Technical Education Department. A new and spacious building in Central Institute of Technology Campus at Tharamani was constructed to have the institute in close vicinity of the Central Leather Research Institute in 1963. The syllabus was re-oriented in 1964 to changing trends based on industrial demands with better diversification. In 1972 the syllabus was again re-oriented on a pattern of polytechnic education, a semester basis of study, with more devotion of practicals . Giving weightage to the changing demands of the industry, the Diploma course in leather technology is converted into a sandwich pattern of seven semester inclusive of two semesters in-plant training in recognized tanneries . From that year 1981, onwards the course of Diploma in Leather technology programme is offered in sandwich pattern till date considering the effectiveness of this sandwich pattern.